If you plan to do your own packing, start well ahead of your moving day.
Start on less important things and areas first, i.e., basement or books.
Put all liquids in one box lined with a garbage bag, labelled liquids.
Pack heavy items in small boxes (2 cu. ft.), light items in larger boxes (4 - 6 cu. ft.).
Label all boxes with your name and the room to which you would like them delivered: i.e. Master Bedroom, Kitchen, Garage etc.
All cartons are to have flat tops and bottoms sealed with tape, enabling the boxes to be stacked one on top of the other. No open or brimming-over boxes please.
Everything and anything that can go into a box should be in a box. i.e. lamps and
shades,pictures, small appliances and misc. items, etc.
7. Wrap rakes, shovels, poles, fishing rods, misc. tools together, 5 per bundle taped bottom and top.
8. Dispose of all flammables such as matches, aerosols, fuels and propane tanks before moving, i.e. Drain lawn-mower, disconnect propane from barbecue.
9. When household goods are going to two or more separate addresses, please colour code with large stickers.
10. Set up a specific area in your home for all items (or personal effects, especially medications)not to be moved and inform your movers of this area: i.e. bathroom, closet - and attach a written sign.
11. Carry your currency, jewellery and valuable documents. Movers will not take responsibility for articles of extraordinary value. Unless otherwise noted in writing.
12. It is not necessary to empty dresser drawers in most cases if they are of sound construction and access to residence is good, however, please remove all fragile items and liquids.
13. Disconnect headboards and foot-boards from beds (if you are able), drain waterbeds, disconnect mirrors from dressers and walls.
14. Park your car away from the house the night before so the moving van has easy accessibility to your driveway and curb-side of your street.
Inform building manager of the time of day and date you are moving at both
residences, when applicable ask manager for elevator pads and keys.
16. Disconnect any and all appliances to expedite your move, make sure to wrap up any and all cords, i.e. TV, VCR, Computers, Fridge, Freezer, Stove, W&D etc.
17. Boxes must be flattened for recycling, paper must be in garbage bags not boxes. Please return your used boxes for recycling to the Time Moving depot - please call first.
NOTE: A very important, but often ignored, aspect of your move is that of appliance servicing. Most machines or mechanical equipment in your home need to be prepared properly for the move, in order to protect them from internal damage. Examples of articles in your home that require servicing before being moved are washing machines, dryers, refrigerators, stereos, grandfather clocks and waterbeds. All servicing of these articles should be done by a licensed professional. It is the owners responsibility to make arrangements for appliance servicing. Always remember that if any of these articles are not serviced before transportation, they will travel at the risk of the owner for any internal damage that may occur.
Call Time Moving one week before your move to confirm time and date of move.